Tuesday, August 19, 2008

A Little Bite of Chocolate Never Hurt Anybody

As some of you may know, I have always, for some unknown reason, attracted younger men. I have also, for more obvious reasons, enjoyed the “company” of those young men. However, once I turned 30 I was officially grown. I told myself that if I’m ever going to settle down in more serious relationships then I have to make serious decisions about the guys I date. A week after I turned 30, I created the Age Rule, which was not to date any man that was more than 2 years younger than myself. Two weeks later I broke the Age Rule. Four weeks after that, the Age Rule was back and in full effect. As time progressed I realized that, like my diet, the Age Rule would be a lot harder to stick with. And today I had a nice piece of chocolate staring me in the face. I told myself that a little bite wouldn’t hurt. Would it?

The Scene – I was walking through a parking lot to my car and he was walking towards me. My first attraction was the deep brown skin. It was like his normal complexion was brown but he’s been spending a lot of time in sun. The second attraction was his swagger. It was a cross between a basketball player and a dope boy (yall know how dope boys walk…that I-don’t-give-a-f**k-walk). The third attraction was his clothes. He had on some kind of graphic T-shirt, baggy cargo pants, and Tims. Now, normally I would have been turned off by the Tims, but trust me when I say he was wearing it well. Once we meet up the conversation goes as follows… (His words are bolded)

Hello
Hi
(I say this giving minimum face contact and keep it moving. Must…stick…to….rule.)
Can I talk to you for a minute?
I don’t think so
(He’s persistent. He turns around and follows me.)
I’m saying, you gotta give me a little of your time. What’s your name?
(I stop when I get to my car and turn around.)
Blake
That’s different. I like that. My name is Rick
(He says walking up to me.)
Nice to meet you Rick?
(Ok, this was just standard, I always tell people it’s nice to meet them. I mean there’s no need to be rude!)
You coming from here?
(He’s talking about the restaurant I was coming from.)
Yeah, but it’s closed
Oh it’s closed? Dag, I was hoping we could go in and get something to eat.
Yeah, that’s not going to happen. How old are you?
24
Oh nooooo!
What? How old are you? 24, 25
(He got a point for that!)
30
I’m sayin’. I can’t talk to you because of my age?
Yup
Age shouldn’t mean anything. You live around here?
(He’s being persistent. I must admit. I like.)
No. Where you from?
Mt. Airy
What are you doing around here?
Just came from seeing my P.O.
(OK, I took my point back. And I was right – dope boy swagger and spending a lot of time in the sun)
Oh so you a baby and a trouble maker!
(He blushes, laughs a little, and kind of looks at the ground. I gave him his point back. I can’t help it. I love when guys do that!)
Naw, that was when I was younger
(I laugh.) When was that? Last week? So what are you doing to stay out of trouble?
I just enrolled in school. I start Temple next month.
Oh for real? What’s your major?
I’m just in the School of Liberal Arts now until I find out what I want to do.
(Ok, so he may be telling the truth)
That’s good. Stay out of trouble. But you’re just too young and I have to go.
Can I at least give you my number?
(He says as he leans back on the car. My eyes move down to…well, lets just say I wasn’t looking deep into his eyes. Houston – we have a problem!!!)
Ok, give me your number.
You’re going to break my heart if you don’t call me

Well I can’t break his heart…

So is it so bad to date a guy 3 or 6 times your Jr. Why is it a social faux pas for us girls and not for the guys? Most importantly, should I give Rick a call?

4 comments:

getitshawty said...

Girlfriend I say call. A little young buck can be a good thing every now and then. Don't think you too grown. Don't put a age limit on things. Live life to the fullest and make it do what it do. Enjoy and call that brother.

Unknown said...

ok i say the darker the berry the sweeter the juice taking it back old scool l.o.l y not it doesn't hurt to see what the lil tender roni.... has to offer

SaneAndSingle said...

Damn, damn, damn!! My FWB was quite a bit younger than I am. And well, you know how that crap turned out! It's all fun and games until someone catches a feeling!

Unknown said...

ooh well you know the saying one monkey don't stop no..... show