Tuesday, July 15, 2008

The L-M-N-O-P-word

Hey Girlfriends! I’m trying to understand why there is so much controversy behind the use of the N-word, when there are worst images and messages that are socially acceptable and surround us everyday. I thought about this today when I was hearing about Nas’ mix tape entitled The Ni**er Tape. I mean, OK, I get that N-word has racial implications that belittles the Black community, but you don’t need Nas to tell you that, just turn on your radio or look at BET. Everyday songs are played on the radio that demeans the Black community by either promoting a false reality of how men should behave, or showing females in negative roles. Maybe I’m overreacting. Let’s take a moment to analyze some of the songs that are played on heavy rotation at local Hip Hop and R&B radio stations:

The Dream – I Love Your Girl
And she runnin' Fingers through her hair, tryin ta call her over there but she like, F**k! That nigga!She drop it down to the floor, I'm sayin shorty you should go, and she like F**k! That nigga!Call it in B, I want her on me, all up in my head, now she in my bed,I, IIIIII, III

Nothing promotes building strong, positive, Black relationship more than leaving your man in the club for a guy that you just met. Ok, forget this. Let’s look at another song.

Soulja Boy – Donk
She Got Donk,Watch It Hit Da Floor,I Like The Way She Move And Da Way She Snap And Roll, Yea Its Goin Down,I Got 5 Thousands Ones,Me, You, And You (You!),We Bout To Have Fun!, Now Gone Make It Clap,Dat Right Dere,Sippin On Some Dat Match My Shirt, I Like Her, Her, Her, Her, And Her,I Want Dem To Do Dat Over Her!! (Over Her!!!)

??????????????????...Next!

2 Pistols f/ T-Pain – She Got It
Young boss baby i treat cha' treat cha' to the finer thingsNeck bling, wrist bling, wedding ring, nah im playinMight light you neck or wristBut cha got a right nice dicket?,ughTake trips with the ???She got it (she got it) She got it (She Got It) thats what Pain sayinThem other niggas lame man, lil mamma i got the game plan2 pistols, me and you boss i make it happen while they talkRidin 6's while they walk

Well at least it doesn’t have the N- word in it, and hey, how else is a girl supposed to get her neck or wrist lit. Ok, one more.

Plies f/ Neyo – Bust It Baby 2
Like your sex but more love what cha do Turn me on how you stare at me when we through When you give it to me, i don't wanna turn ya loose Scared to moan around you, all i can say is "Ooh" My favorite panties of yours the ones that see-through One wit the pink trim on 'em and they light blue Speakin' for the goons, thank god for makin' you BUST IT BABY is what i call you

The song did say the he likes what she does more than he likes her sex. I mean it continued to talk about the sex, but he was just making a point. He really does like her personality.

So why is this acceptable, and the N-word not acceptable? Don’t get me wrong, I’m not advocating the use of the N-word, but there are images and messages dressed up in hot beats and fancy clothes that creep its way into our community every day. These images cause just as much harm as a racist carrying a burning cross would. Perhaps we should make a fuss over this the same way we make a fuss over the use of the N-word. If in the end we chose to allow this type of culture to remain in our midst, than we are all a bunch of Ni**as living in ignorant bliss, because a Ni**a by another name is still a Ni**a.

No comments: